Friday, December 24, 2004

Return of the C64

I saw this article in the NY Times the other day:
A Toy With a Story
It's about Jeri Ellsworth, a 30-year-old high school dropout and self-taught computer chip designer. She like reverse engineered the commodore 64 and put it all in a joystick with 30 games. It's doing pretty well.
Makes you think about education in this country. This woman is obvioulsy brilliant but for whatever reason wasn't the type of person who could sit in a chair and be lectured at for three hours a clip. I've done ok in school, but I'm a moron and I can't do what she did. Maybe they need different ways of teaching so they don't lose out on people like this.
If you look at some of the tech sites they go between discussing the C64 and what a 'hot chick' she is.=) I used to have a C64. Remeber using ,8,1 to access the disk drive? Might be fun to pick one of these things up.

No comments: